Fundraisers ******* Sponsor our lace
**** We urgently need volunteers to help staff the museum****
Please call 408-730-4695 to volunteer!
Many Hands Make Light Work!!
The Lace Museum runs entirely on volunteers and donations! Your time and money are important to the museum. There are several enjoyable opportunities at the museum right now.
Also check out the Volunteer Match site
Museum Wish List:
- We are looking for a donation of a nice piece of Tønder lace for our collection.
- White, 100% cotton sheets
- Fees for magazine ads
- If you live in the Northern California area: Please save your sturdy rolls inside wrapping paper for The Lace Museum. We have a number of wider pieces of lace that need to be rolled and we need your help. We will cover them with foil, and fabric, but the basic cardboard structure helps protect the lace from folds. Rolls can be dropped off at the museum any time we are open in January Tues. - Sat., 11 - 4. Thanks!
- the museum can use your extra cotton fabric, plain or print, for goodies to sell for the benefit of the museum, so clean out your sewing room and let the museum ladies have a go with it. Contact Karen
These are jobs that can be shared with others by setting up a rotation roster or choosing a specific event or workshop to coordinate. You need not be a lace maker to help. Please consider donating a bit of your time to the museum or, perhaps, finding an acquaintance who could use the satisfaction of being a volunteer.
- IT Person - The museum has a main computer, which needs to have monthly maintenance such as updates adn cleanup done to keep it running optimally. We also have a few small laptops which each perform specific tasks such as processing credid cards, running looped DVD's, etc.
- Lace demonstrators - click here for places and times
- We would be grateful to every lace maker who would make a bookmark or ornament or snowflake in any lace type to sell in our gifts hop. All of our museum expenses are paid with the generous donations from our friends and income from our gifts hop and workshops.
- Christmas ornament making - The holiday show at the museum always features lace-covered Christmas ornaments on display and for sale. The museum will provide all the materials; you can use your creativity at home to make unique one-of-a-kind ornaments for sale to benefit the museum.
- Docent/Tour Guide(s) - Guides visitors through permanent and rotating exhibits at The Lace Museum. Explains the history of lace making, describes the different types of lace. Answers visitor questions and promotes the museum and its mission. Full training provided. 6 hours once per week, 6 hours bi-weekly or 6 hours once per month. Reports to Museum Director.
- Workshop Coordinator - Once workshops are selected by the Board, the Workshop Coordinator takes over correspondence with instructor. Responsible for workshop promotion including giving accurate information to Mail Chimp Coordinator, Newsletter Editor, Facebook Coordinator and Publicity Chair. Uses other media to promote workshops. Coordinates sign up forms, keeps track of payments, sends registration confirmations, and corresponds with students as needed. Coordinates beverages and snacks. Coordinates needs of teacher including securing housing. Coordinates set up, organization and clean up on day(s) of workshop. Hours vary depending on number of workshops. Much of the work can be done from home, but some weekends will be involved as the workshops tend to happen on weekends. Reports to Museum Director.
- Vintage Sale Assistants- Assists with pricing and organizing donations for the Semi-Annual Vintage sale. Assists with set up, sales and clean up on Vintage Sale weekends. 4 – 16 hours per month. Reports to Vintage Sale Coordinator
- Development Associate - Work with the board to create fund raising opportunities for the museum. Keep records on fund raising events, donors, and donations using GiftWorks software. Assist board members in finding new donors and fostering lasting relationships with past donors. 4 - 16 hours per month, some work can be done from home. Reports to Museum Director.
- Collection Storage Assistant - Assists with the museum collection. Arranges lace, embroidery and costumes neatly in boxes. Helps with inventory of boxes and collection. Willing to learn to catalog items in collection including learning to identify different types of lace. 4 – 16 hours per month. Training provided. Reports to Collections Manager.
- Photographer’s Assistant - Assists with data entry on a computer and photographing lace. Basic photography and computer experience needed. 4 – 16 hours per month. Reports to Museum Director.
- Gift Shop Assistant - Merchandiser for the Gift Shop. Arranges sale items to promote maximum sales. Keeps displays looking fresh and neat. Makes signage to promote sales. Ensures that supplies for museum classes are available. Makes suggestions of new products. Assists with inventory. 4 – 16 hours per month. Reports to Museum Director.
- Exhibition installation and design help - 3 times a year, the exhibit changes at the museum. This is a fun time to really get to know the collection as the old exhibit comes down and gets put away, and the new one goes
up. Have you ever wanted to be a window dresser? Do you have a talent with words and would like to write up descriptions of the objects on display? Would you like to research an exhibit topic and create
visitor information for a show? Come work with staff on one show or on all of them. We need another design team for an upcoming display.
- Sample Books - The museum has a large number of lace samples. These are fragments, medallions, and bits of lace that need to be organized into books or displays that will help to inform museum visitors about all the types of lace. Ideally we would like to create one set that stays at the museum and one that can travel to fairs, exhibitions and demonstrations. This is an opportunity that can be partially done at home.
- One or two people to create a set of videos to be used at the museum to demonstrate lace making when a lace-maker is not staffing the museum...